Tuesday 16 June 2009

Icons Evaluation

Icons Evaluation
Unit 18 LO4

Summary

For this project I have designed and created an icon for each of the genres (War, sci-fi, horror, fantasy and humour)

What I have done

First of all I made a collage that had pictures related to the five genres as well as explanations to what they are. I have done research into icons and symbols such as the very first symbol to modern day interactive icons, the APPLE company such as their logo, past products and the interactive icons for their iPhone product. I have also done research into the different file formats so I could understand how they would be helpful.

I also went to the Bradford Animation Festival (BAF) to help with my research.

After this research, I did sketches in my sketch book to see what possible icons I could create for the five genres. For these drawings all I needed was a pencil and some coloured pens.

Then I made my final icons in Adobe Flash and Photoshop because the icons look slightly cartoon style when drawn in Flash and then I could add the final colour and effects in Photoshop.

Sci-Fi

This icon represents the Sci-fi genre and was made by doing line drawings over a photo of Jack. I used a photo from one of my other projects because I realised it would make a better icon for sci-fi. I added a purple outline to the icon because it makes it look a bit out of this world, a bit like an alien or ghostly. I made sure that when I was designing this icon, I didn’t offend Jack so I didn’t add anything to his head. This icon didn’t meet my original intentions because its different to my original ideas which were spaceships, which are sometimes associated with Sci-fi, but I think this turned out better than my original ideas.

To create this icon I first did a line drawing over a photo in Flash, then I copy and pasted the drawing into Photoshop to add the black background and purple outline.

If I had more time to design and create this icon I would make it better by doing more idea designs and spending more time on creating it.

Humour

This icon represents the humour genre because it is a funny looking man with amusing features. The colours I used aren’t always associated with humour but I have used them in a way that might be seen a funny. I made this by drawing a basic head shape and then adding bits on. This icon doesn’t offend anyone because I have been careful with how I designed it. This met my original intentions because it looks like one of my original ideas which were pictures of cartoon style people. I made this icon by drawing the face and colour in Flash and then adding the final effects in Photoshop.

I would improve this icon by making it more humourous looking and making the colours look better. If I had more time I would do more research into the humour genre.

Horror

This icon represents the horror genre and was made by drawing scary eyes and teeth on a black background. I used black and red because they are usually colours associated with horror. I have been careful not to make this scary because scary icons might offend people. This icon doesn’t meet my original intentions because it’s different to my original plans because my original drawings were of blood covered objects and weapons. I made this icon by drawing the eyes and teeth on a black background in Flash.

I personally don’t think that this Icon needs changing in any way but if I had more time I would do more research and more idea sketches.

Fantasy

This icon represents the fantasy genre because I it is a picture of a wizard which are usually associated with fantasy. I used the colours blue, red and silver because they are usually colours that a wizard would wear. This icon is not offensive in anyway because I was careful not to add anything offensive to it. This icon does not meet my original intentions because my original sketches for fantasy were of angels and fairies. I made this icon by drawing the picture and colour in Flash and then copy and pasting it into Photoshop to add effects to it.

I don’t think that this icon needs to be changed in any way because it looks perfect for fantasy but if I had more time to work on this icon I would spend more time on idea sketches.

War

This icon represents the war genre because it is a picture of a sword which were used in wars before guns were invented. I used silver because that is the colour of most metals used on weapons and I used the other colours because they make the icon stand out a bit. This icon might be offensive to people who don’t like weapons but I haven’t added any blood or guns which some people are most offended by. This icon met my original intentions because my original sketches had pictures of swords which is what I was aiming for. I made this icon by drawing the sword and adding colour in Flash and then copy and pasting it into Photoshop to add the final effects.

I think that I could make this icon better by making it look more war like and spending more time to make it look more detailed. If I had more time for this icon I would use it to do more research into the war genre and do more design sketches.

Evaluation

If I was to do this again, I would manage my time better by founding out what I need to do early and giving myself a good amount of time to get it done. Next time I would do a lot more research on the genres and do more idea sketches to give me a better choice of icon to create. I am happy with my sci-fi, horror and fantasy icons even though they aren’t what I originally intended but the two icons that do look like what I originally intended I think could look better because they look poorly made. I would make the humour and war icons better by doing more research and sketches.

No comments:

Post a Comment